Idaho law requires the licensure and inspection of all Funeral Homes and Crematories operating within Idaho. A facility inspection is also required prior to issuing a facility’s original license. A current Funeral Establishment license and a current Mortician license are required in order to obtain a Crematory license.
FUNERAL ESTABLISHMENT LICENSE
NOTE: Any change in ownership or location of the establishment requires a new license.
A funeral service establishment license requires:
- Completed application and fees.
- A licensed Idaho Mortician who is a resident of Idaho on staff, full time.
- A specific location and name for the establishment.
- Must contain an operating room and equipment for embalming, a display room for merchandise, a chapel, and a viewing/visitation room.
- Upon receipt of all documents, a walk-through inspection of the establishment is arranged and upon passing the inspection, the license is issued.
NOTE: Prior to the walk-through inspection, applicants must be familiar with all city, county, and state planning and zoning regulations affecting the facility and location being applied for and assume all responsibility for compliance.
CREMATORY ESTABLISHMENT LICENSE
A crematory license requires:
A funeral establishment license.
- A completed application and fees.
- A retort, along with the detailed information regarding the retort, specifically documenting the retort and equipment is listed by an approved testing agency as listed in the Uniform Fire Code.
- A set of blueprints, approved by the local building department, for proposed new construction or remodeling.
- A copy of the permit issued by the Department of Environmental Quality indicating compliance with air quality standards.
- Upon receipt of all documents, a walk-through inspection of both the funeral establishment and the crematory is arranged. Upon passing the inspection, a license is issued.
Crematory regulations require that a log of all cremations be maintained and available for inspection at each crematory. Specifications for the cremation log are outlined in Board Rule 454.
NOTE: Prior to the walk-through inspection, applicants must be familiar with all city, county and state planning and zoning regulations affecting the facility and location being applied for and assume all responsibility for compliance.
You may download the Board approved Cremation Log or Record of Cremations for use.