Official Government Website

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Can I carry over continuing education credits from year to year?
A:  YES. Six (6) continuing education hours may be carried over to the next renewal period only.

Q: Where can I obtain a list of approved continuing education courses?
A:  A list is available online.

Q: I am giving a continuing education course that I would like approval for.  What do I need to do?
A:  You must complete an application for continuing education approval and submit to the Board a minimum of 60 days prior to the course being offered. 

Q:  What do I need to study for an exam?
A:  You can go to our Training & Studies link for exam information. 

Q:  I have let my license lapse, what must I do to activate that license?

A:  A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application together with the payment of renewal fees, a license re-instatement fee, and proof of completion continuing education as required in the rules.  If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required.

Q:  I had a license, and it has been expired for more than five (5) years; can I renew it?
A:  No, a license cannot be renewed after being expired for five (5) or more years. You will need to submit a new application for licensure to the Board for review and take the exam. 

Q: If I move to Idaho, do I have to have a license certification?
A. Yes. You will need to contact the state board(s) where you are or have been licensed and have them send a license certification directly to the Board at  

Q: Can a BAT test a fire sprinkler system?
A:  See the attached letter of information from the State Fire Marshall.

Q: Are double check backflow assemblies allowed on lawn sprinkler systems?

A: Be advised that as of May 1, 2018, the plumbing code has removed the Cross Connection Control Manual, published by the Pacific Northwest Section of the American Water Works Association (AWWA) from IDAPA

The Idaho State Plumbing code (ISPC) backflow requirements are an enforceable code. NOTE: The major change is double check backflow assemblies (DCBA) will no longer be allowed on lawn sprinkler applications. Any DCBAs installed prior to the code change will not need to be removed unless they can no longer be repaired and must be replaced. The replacement assembly must meet the code for lawn irrigation which is now considered “High Hazard”. See this link for more information.

ver: 3.5.2a | last updated: