Idaho law requires the licensure and inspection of all Funeral Homes and Crematories operating within Idaho. A facility inspection is also required prior to issuing a facility’s original license. A current Funeral Establishment license and a current Mortician license are required in order to obtain a Crematory license.
FUNERAL ESTABLISHMENT LICENSE
NOTE: Any change in ownership or location of the establishment requires a new license.
A funeral service establishment license requires:
- Completed application and fees.
- A licensed Idaho Mortician who is a resident of Idaho on staff, full time.
- A specific location and name for the establishment.
- Must contain an operating room and equipment for embalming, a display room for merchandise, a chapel, and a viewing/visitation room.
- Upon receipt of all documents, a walk-through inspection of the establishment is arranged and upon passing the inspection, the license is issued.
NOTE: Prior to the walk-through inspection, applicants must be familiar with all city, county, and state planning and zoning regulations affecting the facility and location being applied for and assume all responsibility for compliance.
CREMATORY ESTABLISHMENT LICENSE
A crematory license requires:
A funeral establishment license.
- A completed application and fees.
- A retort, along with the detailed information regarding the retort, specifically documenting the retort and equipment is listed by an approved testing agency as listed in the Uniform Fire Code.
- A set of blueprints, approved by the local building department, for proposed new construction or remodeling.
- A copy of the permit issued by the Department of Environmental Quality indicating compliance with air quality standards.
- Upon receipt of all documents, a walk-through inspection of both the funeral establishment and the crematory is arranged. Upon passing the inspection, a license is issued.
Crematory regulations require that a log of all cremations be maintained and available for inspection at each crematory. Specifications for the cremation log are outlined in Board Rule 454.
NOTE: Prior to the walk-through inspection, applicants must be familiar with all city, county and state planning and zoning regulations affecting the facility and location being applied for and assume all responsibility for compliance.
You may download the Board approved Cremation Log or Record of Cremations for use.
Please refer to Rule 410 for the CE Requirements.
BOARD APPROVED CE COURSES:
College or University Sponsored Courses/Workshops
National Funeral Directors
Wilburt Vault Company
Funeral Services Academy
Datesville Casket Co.
WEBCE – Germane Courses Only
Practicum Strategies – Germane Courses Only
Continuing Education HUB – Germane Courses Only
CE providers may obtain Board approval by submitting a completed Continued Education Approval Form.
The Board conducts annual audits to ensure compliance with the continuing education requirements. Audits may be initiated any time after you renew your license. By submitting your renewal and answering “Yes” to the question that you have met the continuing education requirements, you are certifying to the Board that you have already obtained proof of having completed the required continuing education.
When you are audited, you must submit a listing of all continuing education courses completed during the previous year AND proof of attendance documentation for each course. Failure to submit the required documentation may result in Board action against your right to licensure.