Official Government Website


Q: Do my fingerprints have to be approved before I can submit a license application?

A: Yes, you must receive fingerprint clearance before submitting your application. Once you see an entry on your fingerprint tab that says RES-OK, your fingerprints have been cleared and are good for six months. If you fail to complete the licensing requirements AND submit your application to the Real Estate Commission within that six-month timeframe, your fingerprints will expire, and you will be required to go through the fingerprinting process again.

Q: How can I find out if my fingerprints have cleared?

A: You must log in to your IREC Account to find that information. Fingerprint results will not be given over the phone. 

Q: Where can I go to get my fingerprints taken?

A: Local law enforcement agencies and sheriff’s offices often provide this service for a small fee. This fee is separate from the fingerprint processing fee you will pay to Pearson VUE when you schedule an appointment to mail your fingerprint hard card. You can print a fingerprint hard card using this link:

Please note that the correct ORI and reason for fingerprinting must be listed on the hard card. If these fields are left blank or if incorrect information is entered, your fingerprint card may have to be sent back to you for correction and/or will severely slow down the fingerprint processing for you.

The ORI must be entered as ID920050Z and the reason for fingerprint must exactly state IDC 54-2012-Real Estate License. The OCA field must be left blank.

Q: Who can I contact to get a status update on my fingerprints?

A: The only status updates you will receive are pushed through the fingerprint tab on your Online Services account with the Real Estate Commission. No updates will be given over the phone by Pearson VUE or their data processing vendor or ISP (Idaho State Police). If it has been more than 4-8 weeks since a record was added to your fingerprint tab, you may contact the Real Estate Commission for further directions.

Q: Nothing is showing on my fingerprint tab, does that mean I need to be re-fingerprinted?

A: This likely means that your fingerprints have not been received at the data processing site in Texas. Please allow sufficient time from the date you mailed your fingerprint hard card and payment confirmation proof from the Pearson VUE website as directed. Pearson VUE estimates that typical mailing time is between 2-5 business days, however this can take longer at times based on postal worker staffing and typical mail times for your area.

Fingerprint card processing can be delayed for many reasons. Here are some of the most common things we see:

  1. The ORI was missing or entered incorrectly on the card. The ORI must be entered as ID920050Z.
  2. The Reason for fingerprint was missing or entered incorrectly on the card. The reason for fingerprint must exactly state IDC 54-2012-Real Estate License.
  3. Something was entered in the OCA field in error. The OCA field must be left blank.
  4. You sent a copy of the fingerprint card rather than the original. The original hard card must be sent to Pearson VUE.
  5. You did not make an appointment with Pearson VUE which is how you are able to pay for the fingerprint processing fee. Please review the fingerprint instructions for information on how to schedule an appointment.
  6. You did not include your fingerprint hard card and/or payment confirmation. Your submission must include your original fingerprint hard card that has been completely and correctly filled out and a copy of the payment confirmation from Pearson VUE. Do not send payment with your hard card. You must schedule an appointment through Pearson VUE’s scheduling system first.

Q: Should I send my fingerprints via expedited mail, next day delivery or some other method so I can confirm they were received?

A: Sending your hard card via regular USPS mail is sufficient.

Q: My fingerprint record shows an ENFORC. What does this mean?

A: If you see this entry on your fingerprint tab, it means that something came up on your background check that requires some additional research. The fingerprint review staff will look at the results and determine if there is enough information to either mark your results as RES-OK, enter a note of FOLLOW UP, which indicates a letter advising you that more information is needed has been sent, or EXEMPT, which means that a felony exemption review is required. You will receive a letter advising you of the process that will need to be followed.

Q: I have a misdemeanor on my record, but it has been more than 5 years, or it is not a disqualifying misdemeanor. Why am I receiving a more information letter?

A: The information that came back on your background check did not contain sufficient information for staff to mark your background check as clear or ok. Please refer to the more information letter for directions on how to proceed.

Q: What Continuing Education Credits do I need to renew my Idaho Real Estate License?

A: Active Renewals: Two (2) Idaho core courses plus 12 elective hours.
Inactive Renewals: No CE is required to renew on inactive status. 
Reactivation: If within the same renewal period, no CE requirement. Otherwise, same as for an active renewal (2 Idaho core courses, plus 12 elective hours).

First Time Salesperson Renewals: Licensees renewing on active status for the first time MUST take 2 Commission Core courses, plus 12 hours of Post License Education. This must include the 8-hour Post License Fundamentals course and one of the following electives: Post License Pricing, Marketing, and Advertising; Post License Professionalism, Negotiations, and Closings; or Post License Introduction to Commercial Real Estate.

CE Requirement Video

Q: What is the Commission Core course?

A: The Core course is developed by IREC each year effective July 1st covering changes in the law, case law, and other “hot topics” identified by the Commission. Licensees are required to take two Idaho Core courses every renewal period. Ethics courses required by the REALTOR® Association are NOT the Core course.

Q: How can I get CE elective hours?

  • Take one of Idaho’s many certified courses from your favorite provider
  • Attend a Commission meeting (a maximum of 4 hours of CE will be granted once per renewal period for attending an entire regularly-scheduled Commission meeting).
  • Take a broker pre-license course, or salesperson post license course. 
  • Take courses to earn a professional designation (must submit on a Licensee Request for CE Credit Form located on the Forms page of the website at least 60 days prior to license expiration date). Online courses MUST be ARELLO certified.

Q: How can I tell if a course will count towards my CE?

  • Look for the IREC course approval number on the course advertising.
  • Check the IREC website Education Lookup for a current list of certified courses.
  • See the list of professional designation courses that count toward your CE.

If you receive advertising for a course that purports to award Idaho real estate CE credit, and the course is not on IREC’s list of certified courses, it may not count for your CE.

All education taken for your CE must be completed within your current licensing period. Your licensing period ends the last day of your birth month, and the new period begins on the first day of the next month.

If your birthday is June 20, your typical licensing period runs from July 1 of either an even or an odd year to June 30 of the next even or odd year. This means that only education taken between July 1 through June 30 of the next year will count toward your renewal. If you renew your license early, you must wait to take any education for your next licensing period until the new licensing period begins.

Q: How do I check my CE records?

A: You can check your CE by logging in to your account through the IREC Online Services. A Designated Broker can also look up CE records online for agents in his or her office.

Q: How does education get on my record?

A: Idaho certified course providers are required to post completed education to licensees’ records within 5 business days of the course completion. If you take a course in another state, a professional designation course, or a course offered in satisfaction of another profession’s CE requirements, you can submit the course outline and your course completion certification to IREC for consideration of CE credit. Visit this link to download the Licensee Request for CE Credit Form.

Q: Does Idaho have a post license requirement?

A: Yes. The education requirement for initial renewal is 12 hours of prescribed post license courses (8 hours Post License Fundamentals and a 4-hour Post License module of choice). This post license requirement applies to all salespersons who have not renewed the license one time on active status.

  • Salespersons in first initial license period.
  • Salespersons activating license for very first time after initial licensing period.

Q: It’s time to renew my license but I have not completed CE; what are my options?

A: You can have your broker inactivate your license. The inactivation is effective the moment your broker removes you from the company and will allow you to renew the license on an inactive status.

You can allow your license to expire, and then renew on inactive status. Renewing a license after it has expired will cause you to incur a late fee.

Once you have completed your CE, to be active your broker MUST reactivate your license online by adding you back to their company.

Q: Do I need to take Continuing Education while my license is on Inactive Status?

A: No, you do not have to meet the Continuing Education requirements while your license is on inactive status but may do so to prepare for a future license activation.

Q: How early can I renew my license?

A: A license may be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date. If the license is active, you must have completed all your continuing education prior to completing an early renewal. If you do not have the required education when you renew your license, even if you renew early, you could be subject to a disciplinary action and civil penalty fines for violation of the License Law.

Q: How can I tell what my licensing period is?

A: Your licensing period begins the first day of the month following the last day of your birth month. Your expiration date can be located on your IREC Account

Q: Can I still renew my license if it expires?

A: Yes, you may still renew your license after it expires by paying the renewal fee along with the late fee of $25. You will also incur a civil penalty fine if you conducted real estate business on an expired license. You have one year to renew an expired license before it terminates, Renewals must be received by 5:00 P.M MST (MDT) per Idaho Code 54-2018(2). Please note:  You can only renew an expired license on inactive status. If you want your license activated after you renew, your broker must make that change online.

Q: Can I still renew my license if it has terminated?

A: No, a terminated license cannot be renewed per Idaho Code 54-2018(3). You must start over as a new applicant. Depending on when your pre-license education was taken, you might have to retake all or part of your pre-license classes.  Pre-license education is valid for 3 years. You must also be fingerprinted, retake the licensing exams, and submit a new license application and fees.

Q: How do I change my contact or personal address information?

A: Log into your IREC Account. You can update your information by clicking “Edit Profile”.

Q: I am the Designated Broker (DB); how do I update my company’s address?

A: Log into your IREC Account. You can update your address by clicking “Manage My Company”.

Q: How do I close my real estate company; what paperwork do I submit?

A: Log in to your IREC Account and click “Manage My Company” tab. Next click on the company you wish to terminate. Click on the “Terminate” tab.  You must provide the location of the company’s records.  Records must be retained for a period of 3 years following the year in which each transaction was closed.

Q: How do I put my Salesperson or Associate Broker license on Inactive Status?

A: Your broker must “remove” you from the company through the Online Services at IREC Account.  Removing you from the company will inactivate your license.

Q: I am a Designated Broker; how do I go on Inactive Status?

A: Contact the IREC office.

Q: How long can I leave my license on Inactive Status?

A: Your license can be inactive indefinitely; however, you need to renew your license and pay the renewal fee every two years. Failure to renew will cause your license to expire and/or terminate.

Q: How do I reactivate my inactive license?

A: Your broker must go online and “add” you to the company to reactivate your license. Make sure that you have met the current CE requirements and have E&O insurance in place before being added to the company.

Q: I am a Designated Broker and want to let a salesperson go. How do I terminate the relationship?

A: Log into your IREC Account and select the “Manage My Company” tab. Next, click “Remove Associate”. Your list of agents will appear. Select the individual you wish to remove and click “OK”. Refresh your list of associates to make sure the agent was properly removed from the company. You must also notify the agent in writing within 3 days of the removal. If you are removing an agent for cause, you are required to notify the Commission in writing within 20 days.

Q: I am a Designated Broker and want to add a salesperson to my company; how do I do that?

A: Log into your IREC Account and select the “Manage My Company” tab. Next, click “Add Associate”. Enter the license number and confirm the licensee you want to add. You must acknowledge that the licensee is in compliance with the CE and E&O requirements (it is highly recommended that you verify with the licensee before you add him/her to your company). Lastly, confirm the addition of the agent. Refresh your list of associates to make sure the agent was properly added to the company.

Q: How do I find out if an agent has left my office?

A: If you have a business e-mail address listed in our system, you will receive an e-mail anytime someone leaves your company. If you do not have an e-mail address on file with the Commission, you can verify this information using the License Lookup or by logging in to the online services.

Q: How long does it take to get licensed once I submit my application?

A: Please allow a minimum of 10 business days for processing of your application. Applications will not be pre-dated, post-dated, or expedited.

Q: I have had a professional license revoked; can I apply for a Real Estate License?

A: If you have had a real estate or other professional or occupational license revoked for a disciplinary violation involving fraud, misrepresentation or dishonest or dishonorable dealing, in Idaho or any other jurisdiction provide that, after a period of five (5) years from the date the license was revoked, the applicant may make a written request to the Commission for an exemption review to determine the applicant’s suitability for licensure, which the Commission shall determine in accordance with the Special Consideration Policy. (Idaho Code 54-2012)

Q: I have a felony; can I apply for a Real Estate license?

A: Yes. The applicant may make written request to the Commission for an exemption review to determine the applicant’s suitability for licensure, which the Commission shall determine in accordance with the Special Consideration Policy and Idaho Statue. (Idaho code 67-9411 and 54-2012)

Q: I have a misdemeanor; can I apply for a Real Estate license?

A: Yes. Idaho Code 54-2012 states that the applicant cannot have been convicted or completed any sentence of confinement for or on account of any misdemeanor involving fraud, misrepresentation or dishonest or dishonorable dealing, in a state or federal court, within five (5) years immediately prior to the date the application for license is submitted to the Commission. Prior to the five (5) years the applicant may make a written request to the Commission for an exemption review to determine the applicant’s suitability for licensure, which the Commission shall determine in accordance with the Special Consideration Policy. (Idaho Code 54-2012)

Q: I am a commercial broker licensed in another state, how can I get a cooperative license?

A: Review Idaho Code 54-2011 and 54-2017 to determine whether the cooperative license is the correct license. The Cooperative Broker License FAQs may be helpful to you as you consider the circumstances. If the cooperative license is appropriate, read and carefully complete the Cooperative License Application located on the Forms page of the website.

*VERY IMPORTANT* Be sure to answer every question and include all required attachments and the correct fee. IREC cannot accept incomplete paperwork, and all incomplete paperwork will be returned to you.

Q: What courses do I need to take to get a salesperson license?

A: 90 hours of prelicense education is required for a new salesperson license, which must be taken within three (3) years preceding the application date. The prelicense coursework is divided into two 45-hour sections (Sales Prelicense Module 1 and Sales Prelicense Module 2) and is offered by course providers throughout the state through live, online, and remote delivery.

Q: What courses are required for a broker license?

A: New broker license applicants must complete a minimum of 90 hours of prelicense education within three (3) years, including the mandatory Brokerage Management and Real Estate Law courses, plus two broker electives. Current elective options include Valuation & Analysis, Real Estate Finance, Idaho GRI 101/102 (both portions must be taken to fulfill one elective requirement), Idaho GRI 201/202 (both portions must be taken to fulfill one elective requirement), and the CCIM designation courses CI 101, CI 102, CI 103, and CI 104 (attended live only and not completed by “challenge” or through online delivery, unless the online course is ARELLO certified).

All applicants, even those currently licensed as a broker in another state, who wish to be licensed as a “Designated Broker” in Idaho must also complete a Business Conduct and Office Operations (BCOO) course (available online and also currently included as part of Brokerage Management course).

Q: I am licensed in another state. Do I have to take Idaho prelicense courses?

A: No, if you are actively licensed in another state, you are not required to take Idaho’s prelicense courses for the same type of license you currently hold.

Q: Are any prelicense courses automatically waived for other professions?

A: Yes. You must submit a written request for waiver with your current mailing address and documentation for your active license to prior to submitting a license application.

  • Valuation & Analysis will be waived for licensed appraisers that are actively practicing as an appraiser.
  • Real Estate Finance will be waived for applicants with an accounting degree who are currently working in an accounting-related profession.
  • Real Estate Law will be waived for actively practicing attorneys.

Q: How do I locate providers for the required pre licensing courses?

A: Select the Education Lookup link from the home page of the website.

Q: How do I sign up for the licensing exam?

A: Contact the testing provider Pearson VUE to schedule a date and time.

Q: Where do I take my licensing exam?

A: Pearson VUE has testing locations throughout the United States. There are 5 primary testing sites in Idaho: Boise, Coeur d’Alene, Nampa, Pocatello, and Twin Falls. There is also a site in Spokane, WA, and sites in other states. Visit the Pearson VUE website to schedule an exam appointment at your preferred location.

Q: How much does the licensing exam cost?

A: Please refer to the Fees page. Payment will not be accepted at the test center.

Q: What happens if I fail the licensing exam?

A: You may retake one or both portions of the licensing exam as many times as you like by registering with Pearson VUE and paying the exam fee. If you fail one part but pass the other part, you have one year from the date you passed the first part to retake and pass the second part. Otherwise, you will have to retake both portions.

Q: Do I need Errors & Omissions insurance while my license is on Inactive Status?

A: No.  However, you may be interested in purchasing “tail” coverage for claims that might arise from the time you were on active status; contact RISC at for more information on “tail” coverage.

Q: I have insurance with RISC; can I get a refund of my E&O premium when my license is placed Inactive?

A: No, all premiums are considered earned once the coverage period begins.

Q: Is there a grace period if I renew my E&O insurance late?

A: No. Even if you renew one day late, you will be subject to a violation. You could also lose your retroactive date for prior claims if you have a gap in your coverage.

Q: Do I pay IREC for my E&O insurance?

A: No.  IREC does not accept payments for any E&O coverage.

Q: Do I have to have Errors & Omissions insurance in effect before I submit a license application?

A: No. E&O must be in effect prior to the broker activating the license.  If applying as an active broker with a company application, you must have E&O in effect for both the company & your individual license prior to submitting the license applications. Sole Proprietorship applications do not require separate E&O.

Q: I am a salesperson and I own an LLC; can I license it?

A: Yes, if all the following conditions have been met:

  • A Designated Broker must be appointed to operate the company.
  • The Designated Broker must be a member/manager of the company.
  • If the Designated Broker already has another company, it too must be a business entity.
  • If this is a second company, both company business addresses must be at the same location.

Q: I am a Designated Broker (DB) with a Sole Proprietorship. How many businesses can I be the DB for?

A: Just the one sole proprietorship as the main office.  You could have branch offices licensed or unlicensed, as long as they use the same name as the main office.

Q: I am a Designated Broker (DB) with a business entity; can I be the DB for more than one company?

A: Yes, if all the entities maintain their records at the same business address.  The DB must be appointed as the DB of the company and be either a member, manager, officer, or a partner, depending on the type of company and have full authority to act on behalf of the company.  Each entity must hold its own Trust records and accounts separately.

Q: I am a Designated Broker (DB) and want to become a DB for an additional licensed company?

A: If your current company is a business entity, complete a Notice of Broker Change Form, submit a list of all officers/members/managers/partners for the second company, and written evidence you have been appointed by the entity to be the DB.  The outgoing DB must sign the form since they are still the DB.
If your current company is a Sole Proprietorship, then you cannot be the DB of another company unless you have terminated the Sole Proprietorship.

Q: Could I license two DBA’s with the same entity?

A: No.

Q: My company is registered in another state, so why must I register my company in Idaho?

A: If you are planning to conduct business in Idaho, your entity must be authorized to do business in Idaho with the Secretary of State before the Commission can issue a license for the company.

Q: If I have a licensed branch office, can I use a different name for the branch office?

A: No, a licensed branch office must use the same business name as the main office.

Q: If I have unlicensed offices, can they use a slightly different name than the main office?

A: No, the unlicensed offices must use the same business name as the main office.

Q: If I relocate my business, how much time do I have to update the address?

A: The law states you must notify the Commission of the new address before you move your office.

Q: How do I get a course approved for real estate continuing education?

A: Pursuant to Idaho license law, all course content must be certified in order for the course to be credited toward continuing education requirements in Idaho. (There are exceptions for certain professional designation courses and courses offered for other professional licenses.) Complete the Continuing Education Elective Course Application Form located on the this page of the website and submit it to the Commission at least two months prior to the first scheduled course offering. Continuing education courses, once certified, must be offered through a certified Idaho real estate provider.

Q: Do I need to be a certified instructor to teach CE elective courses?

A: No. However, CE elective courses must be taught through a certified Idaho real estate provider. It is the provider’s responsibility to make sure that instructors are qualified to teach the courses offered. Certification is required to teach any Commission-developed course.

Q: I want to teach a course that’s already certified in another state. Why do I have to also get it certified in Idaho?

A: The Commission does not have any reciprocity agreements with other states for course certification. Different states accept different courses and have varying certification requirements. The license law requires Idaho certification to ensure courses offered for real estate CE meet Idaho requirements and fit within the approved topic areas established by the Commission.


Q: What does the Idaho Real Estate Commission regulate?

A: The Idaho Real Estate Commission regulates real estate brokerage activity and real estate licensees in the State of Idaho. The Commission’s jurisdiction extends only to potential disciplinary actions involving violations of the Idaho Real Estate License Law and Administrative Rules (Idaho Code Title 54, Chapter 20 and IDAPA 33, Title 1, Chapter 1).

The Commission investigates complaints against licensees involving:

  • Advertising Violations
  • Agency Violations
  • Dishonest or Dishonorable Dealings
  • Failure to Account for Money or Property
  • Failure to Complete Continuing Education
  • Failure to Disclose Adverse Material Facts
  • Failure to Maintain Errors & Omissions Insurance
  • Failure to Present Offers
  • Interference with Real Estate Brokerage Agreements
  • Licensees Convicted of Felonies and Qualifying Misdemeanors
  • Misrepresentation
  • Reckless Conduct
  • Trust Account Violations
  • Unlicensed Practice
  • Other violations of the Idaho License Law

The Commission is NOT empowered to enforce, modify, rescind or cancel listing agreements, purchase and sale agreements, or any other contract; compel the payment of money, award damages, or render a judgement in your favor; order the return of earnest money; settle real estate commission fee disputes; or decide violations of the REALTOR® Code of Ethics.

Q: What is the Idaho Real Estate Commission NOT responsible for regulating?

A: The Idaho Real Estate Commission does NOT regulate or have the authority to investigate:

Q: What is Agency?

A: “Agency” is a term used in Idaho law that describes the relationships between a licensee and some parties to a real estate transaction. The Commission’s Agency Disclosure Brochure contains more information.

Q: How do I tell if an agent is licensed?

A: Consumers can utilize the Commission’s License Lookup application to ensure an agent or brokerage are licensed to practice real estate in Idaho. Additionally, consumers can see any formal disciplinary actions taken against an agent within the last five years.

Q: How do I file a complaint?

A: Please visit this link to file a complaint.

Q: What is the Investigative Process?

A: Consumer complaints alleging licensee misconduct must be submitted in writing to the Commission. Complaint allegations that, if true, would constitute a violation of the License Law, will be investigated by Commission staff. The staff may also initiate an investigation upon information received by the Executive Officer. The fact that staff is conducting an investigation does not mean that staff is seeking to take action against a licensee. The staff will pursue disciplinary action only if warranted by the facts revealed through the completed investigation, and even then, only after the Commission members have determined that such facts are sufficient to support the filing of an Administrative Complaint. In the event the facts are determined to be insufficient, matter will be closed.

In general, the staff employs the following procedures when conducting an investigation:

At the onset of the investigation, the Commission investigator writes to the licensee being investigated, informing him or her of the complaint or information received, and requesting that the licensee respond to the allegations in writing. In addition, the licensee may be asked to provide a written response to specific questions posed by the investigator, or to provide documents or other information.

Once the investigation is completed, the results and any recommendations are forwarded to the Executive Officer for a decision on how to proceed. Based upon the results of the investigation, the Executive Officer may decide to (1) conclude the matter at that point, by either closing the case and issuing a “no action” letter, or by issuing an informal Staff Letter of Reprimand; (2) request additional information; or (3) pursue disciplinary action against the licensee. Prior to pursuing disciplinary action, the Executive Officer will submit to the Commission (i.e., the five members comprising the agency head) a written report containing a summary of the relevant facts determined through the investigation, and a summary of the alleged violations of law. This report will not contain the parties’ names, locations or other identifying information.

The Commission will review the report to determine whether the facts are sufficient to pursue an action against the licensee. If the Commission determines that the facts are insufficient, no disciplinary action will be taken. The complainant and the responding licensee will be notified in writing of this “no action” determination.

If, however, the Commission determines the facts in the report are sufficient to proceed with a formal disciplinary action, the Commission will authorize the staff to pursue formal disciplinary proceedings. In that event, the licensee will receive a written notice from the staff summarizing the facts revealed by the investigation and the violations that the staff believes occurred and that it can prove. Within the letter the staff will provide the licensee the option to informally resolve the matter through stipulation, without the commencement of formal administrative proceedings. The letter will also describe the licensee’s right to formal hearing. The licensee will be given a set period of time within which to advise the staff on how he or she desires to proceed.

At any time during the investigation or hearing process of the Commission, a licensee may seek legal advice from an attorney. The Commission strongly recommends that a licensee consult with an attorney upon receipt of any notice indicating that disciplinary action is being pursued.

Q: How long will an investigation into my complaint take?

A: The complaint process can take as few as 30 days to well over a year, depending on the complexity of the investigation, the violations, and any formal hearings that may follow the investigation.

Q: Will my complaint remain confidential?

A: Subject to certain limitations some investigative records are available by public record request. You should assume that documents and information included with your complaint may be available for public inspection.

Q: How can I avoid mortgage closing scams?

A: A recent trend in real estate transactions involves hackers attempting to divert payments meant for the settlement agent to their own accounts by providing last minute wiring instructions different than those provided by the settlement agent or your real estate agent. The FBI has estimated these scams led to a loss of nearly $1 billion in 2017.

To learn more, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and read about Mortgage Closing Scams.

ver: 3.5.2a | last updated: